My pride and joy has now been flying for some 250 hours (January 2011) and although that time has been mostly problem free there have been a few things that needed sorting out.
I had an unrealistic expectation that once I finished the build there would be a few minor tweaks and it would otherwise be finished. Not so.
I have spent lots of time on uprades, minor fixes, replacements and fixes of avionics and significant time on chasing ignition noise in radios and the omnipresent Jabiru problem of engine temperature management. There have been a few Jabiru Service Bulletins requiring attention along the way.
Most of the time has been purely elective stuff so despite the many hours spent not much of it has been mandatory stuff. In this section I am not counting anything related to my prang in late 2009. (see the Oops section )
These have included:
Upgrades and Modifications.
Installation of Autopilot (included complete new panel and rewiring)
Installation of External 12 v power socket for starting
Installation of handle for pilot to open /close passenger side vents
Installation of Beverage / Cup Holders on door sills
Installation of guard round throttle (on passenger side)
Installation of "Gutters" around doors (to prevent rain getting in.)
Loosening of screws in fairings etc
Spatts - Loosening of screws and subsequent damage to spatts
Major Repairs and Replacements
Avionics which broke down and required return to manufacturer for service
Microair radios (both radios back to factory twice!!! )
Dynon AP74 Autopilot module
Instruments which went U/S and replaced outright
Oil Pressure Sensor
Several CHT ring sensors and wire leads (both Jabiru & Dynon leads)
Fuel Sight Gauges
Noise in radios
Engine cooling issues
Fuel distribution & Carburettor Problems
Propellor & RPM Issues